Sunday, October 5, 2014

Summer 2014 -- a doozy if I've ever seen one!

So, if I wrote Sentences for each and every event we went through for the summer, this post would be massive.  As it is, we will have trouble containing the length of this missive.  So, I will try bullet points for the most part.  Here goes:

-Movie in the Park.  Adam came with some of the kids and me to watch some of the Apple Dumpling Gang.  He was finishing up work and had just moved out of their house they had lived in for a couple of years; crossing his fingers they would be able to buy another home in Pleasant Grove.

-James and I found we had Pneumonia -- different weeks apart, but close enough to make us weak at the thought!!  I found out I had pneumonia only days before our flight to Cancun.  So, I wore a mask on the plane!

-Ladd, Garrett, and I went to Cancun, Mexico (actually stayed about an hour South? in Akumal, Mexico).  It was a surreal vacation for me.  We were with quite a number of Ladd's family living right on the beach.  We went to numerous archaeology ruins as a group, and Ladd and I went to one by ourselves.  Ladd and I had most of the time to ourselves, it seemed.  I loved every moment of it!  On Sunday, we went to church, and in Relief Society, I was asked to lead the music.  It was one of the more sacred moments of my life.  To be able to serve other sisters in a different language without being able to understand them with only the spirit to aid me was truly a humbling and grateful experience!!!

-While we were in Cancun, Adam and Kelsy watched the kids.  When we got back, they had done considerable cleaning, yard work, and Adam had even painted some of our walls upstairs!!!  Talk about going the second mile!!!  They also stayed a week or so after we got back.

-Cali had Leadership Camp in June early on for a week for Marching Band.  Marching Band practices began in earnest.  During the summer, Cali, Cecilia, and Jarom had eight parades.  I think I only saw them in maybe two or three.  Adam went for one of them.  :)

-Garrett started work for Grandpa Olsen a couple of days a week.

-Summer Seminary was on Thursdays, and the oldest four all tried to go to as many as they could.

-Fundraisers galore!  Cali, Cecilia, and Jarom participated in so many for Marching Band.  One of which was the march-a-thon.

-Mckenzie, Ruby, and Lena all had soccer camp for a couple of days.

-Jarom and James had scout camp.  They finished many merit badges and seemed to enjoy their week with the scouts.

-Cecilia had a "Mayfair" performance with colorguard, and bought a beautiful white dress for that night.

-I took the younger kids to a park in American Fork, and saw there was a museum that bordered the park.  We went to visit the museum, and the girls all seemed to love it.  So, I brought all the kids back the next Monday. 

-Cali started clarinet lessons!

-I took James on down to the A. Lavar Hinton Reunion by myself.  Our tent door zipper didn't work.  But, even with all the work, it was fun to see everyone that was able to come.

-At the same time as the reunion, Garrett had his Priest Encampment -- Army of Helamen.  He had helped on the Stake level to help plan it, and was very vested in the whole experience!

-We seemed to be bombarded with doctors, dentist, and eye appointments during summer.  Here's the breakdown per month:
June -- 5
July -- 34
Aug. -- 8 or 9

-Alyssa's 4th birthday on July 1st!

-Ladd had his 11 year old camp the first part of July.

-Garrett, Cali, and Cecilia had a day at Fidelity that was all about finances.

-They had a stake dance only two days before Jarom turned 14.  I was horrified to find out that Jarom had asked the Bishop if he would let him go two days before his birthday!!!  I thought we had taught him!!!!

-On July 13th was Kaleb's farewell.  He left that week.  It was a huge event and had even more impact for our older kids.

-Jarom had his 14th birthday on the 14th day of July in 2014!!!

-That same week, we had the River Run.  Garrett, James, Mckenzie, and Ruby went down lots.  I even got to go down the main canyon a couple of times for the first time in quite a few years!  Cali, Cecilia, and Jarom didn't get to go.

-Mckenzie had her Activity Day Camp at This Is the State Park the day we were going to leave for our Don Hinton Family Reunion.

-Our busiest week of the Summer was July 21st thru the 27th.  During that week:
Cecilia (and Cali) had ColorGuard Camp
Jarom Had Drumline Camp
Cali and Cecilia missed Girls Camp -- we just couldn't make it work!
Garrett had surgery (Veraseal sp?)
We went down for the Don Hinton Reunion to St. George and the Pine Valley Cabin.  Cali, Cecilia, and Jarom weren't able to go to the reunion.
We "celebrated" the 24th July in St. George by Ladd walking some of the younger girls down to a parade at 9 in the morning and it was too hot to stay for long!
Mckenzie had her 10th birthday which we celebrated when we got back from St. George on Sunday with Cali, Cecilia, and Jarom.

-Cali, Jarom, and Cecilia had Pre-game Camp which went from 8 to 5 every day.

-Mckenzie had another Activity Day camp, but this one was at the stake center.

-Aug. 4th-9th was a busy week as well. 
Garrett had EFY the same time as Parker and Connor.
Cali, Cecilia, and Jarom also had Band Camp.
We had Mckenzie's party/sleepover.  I didn't get much sleep. . . .
I went to Chelsea's baby shower at Jill's house.

-Garrett started working on his Eagle Project!  Thus began a frantic run to finish it within a month!

-Garrett, Jarom, James, and Ladd had a court of honor.  James was awarded the 2nd Class for the second time!  Sometimes I wish mothers were allowed to speak at their Board of Review!!

-Only a week after Mckenzie's party, we celebrated Ruby's birthday first with a party/sleepover, and then had our family celebration on her birthday.  I've decided those two girls have had the only sleepover I will allow in their entire lives!!!

-Somewhere in here, Lena and Alyssa and a friend of theirs entered a neighbor's house when they weren't home through the doggy door, cut each other's hair, found some paint, and ruined some household items painting a wall in their upstairs.  As a result, I spent a frantic hour or so trying to get the paint out of their carpet.  I grounded both of them for over a month!!!

-Garrett had a campout.

-We went to the Fidelity Fun Run Day (but none of us ran!).

-James started school (much to his chagrin) on the 18th of August for a quick run through.

-Everyone started school on the 19th.  However, the High School had a bomb threat, so Garrett, Cali, and Cecilia didn't get to go on their first day of school!!

-Shalyn crippled our laptop by pulling out all the keys on the laptop plus the little connections underneath so we can't just put them back.

-I took Lena and Alyssa over to help sand the wall they painted.  I don't think they enjoyed the experience, but I hope it got through to them somehow.

-Only a day or two after school started, the High School had their picture days.  I missed paying for Cecilia's, so we had to have her go to the make-up day!

-On Aug. 23rd, Jarom went to his first dance!!!

-Lena started school on the 26th of Aug.

-BYU football started once again!

And now, we find ourselves once again into another school year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment