I think the major assumption people are making about me getting my hair cut revolves around how many children I have. It's easier to take care of, thus, the short hair. One lady mentioned to me that perhaps it had to do with pregnancy doldrums. Not so. I was literally fed up with my hair. I felt I had two choices: hate my hair for the next three years, or try something drastic and hope I like it. I'm happy to announce that I love my hair this short!
My sister, Tiffani, visited over the Christmas break and admitted to cutting her own hair. Wow! What courage and talent! Her hair is in a pixie cut and she loves it.
I remember back to my teenage years. I had short hair then. I'm not sure I looked that great because I refused to "do" my hair every morning -- and I still refuse -- which is why long hair seems like such a good fit for me. I can stuff it into a pony tail if I so desire -- which I do most days. Over the years, I've found a few pet peeves that revolve around my hair. I hate having any hair fall into my face. I don't like it in my eyes. And, having hair on my neck is really annoying to me. Pony tails are an acceptable fix for me, but then I tend to look ragged and pieced together and not classy or dignified at all. How pleased I am that this pixie hair cut fixes all of that (in my mind, at least).
I supposed it was only natural that I would be the only one truly pleased. My children all had very differing opinions on my new haircut. I didn't tell the kids where I was going, only how long I thought I'd be gone. (One of the perks of the holidays, I suppose.) When I walked back through the door, Lena stopped and stared at me. Then, after searching my face and hair for something, she said, "I still can't see your eyes." Cecilia saw me, then grinned. "It's short! But I like it." Jarom saw me and said, "I like your hair, mom." James said, "Well, it's different." I went downstairs to find the rest of my kids. Ruby said she liked it. Cali said, "It is different for sure." Garrett took one look at me and said, "Why!" "Why would you get it cut like that." I pushed him a bit, reminding him that it wasn't a boys haircut. "I know. But it's still wrong! It's just not natural!" When I went to pick up Mckenzie from her friend's house, I sat and talked to her friend's mom for awhile while Mckenzie gathered her things. Perhaps we were a bit more long-winded that needed because Mckenzie sat close to me ready to go for about four minutes before she noticed my hair. "Mom!" "You got your hair cut!" "Why!!!!" "You look like a boy!" I had cut Jarom and James' hair earlier on in the day. When Ladd got home from Deer Valley that day, I greeted him at his car and walked in with him. He didn't say anything about my hair. Then, once we were inside, he saw James and said, "James! You got your hair cut!" My heart sank about then. Ladd didn't even notice my hair cut! Finally, Ladd looked closely at me and said, "Did you get your hair cut, too?" "Hmm." That's all he's ever said about my hair. Well. I guess you win some and you loose some!
No comments:
Post a Comment