Sunday, November 10, 2013

Now, Onto November 2013

With Garrett, Cali, and Cecilia gone to State Marching Band in St. George, it was quieter at home.  I think this was the week that Ladd and I's date consisted of going to Costco.  I shopped while Ladd got his card activated, and we met up, walked out to the check-out line, and grabbed a twist frozen yougart that we shared for a few moments before we got to Lowe's where Ladd ran in to get a few things.  (Actually, I think this date happened the week before when we went to the Marching band competition to watch the new and improved show -- on the 26th).  So, I do know that we did father/daughter or mother/daughter dates and father/son dates.  I took Mckenzie with me to Coscto late on Friday night.  We shared a twist frozen yougart on the way home.  Mckenzie talked and talked to me.  It was nice to be able to focus just on her!  Ladd took Ruby to Smith's to pick up some glue so Ladd could help Jarom put together his rocket for the BYU POWWOW.  He took Ruby to Artic Circle on the way home and she had some ice cream treat with him.  Jarom and James worked hard getting all their requirements for their art merit badge done that night.  Then, Saturday morning, Ladd took both the boys to the BYU POWWOW.  My focus had shifted to my upcoming surgery that was less than a week away, so I did some cleaning and laundry, and baths, and so forth.  Ladd might have gone to another BYU basketball game that night.  I can't really remember what did happen, though.  I think that it was this night, as we were getting ready for bed, that Ladd told me that he had a lump in his right side of his throat, but that his health seemed to be okay -- he wasn't sick with a cold.  As he said that, I had the distinct impression that "this was it.  This was the beginning of the end."  All my emotions from the experience I had during Shalyn's pregnancy came flooding back, and I've been much more emotional this past week.  I've asked Ladd to at least go in and see the doctor about it, and he's been trying.  It's the doctor's office that hasn't cooperated.  Garrett, Cali, and Cecilia got back during church.  I'd left my cell phone at home, so they eventually called Ladd.  Ladd came to help me get into the car, and after we climbed in the car and sat around waiting for everyone to get buckled for awhile, he finally told me that he'd already picked them up.  I got fairly anxious to get home so I could see them, but he was in a teasing mood, and offered to drive us in all the wrong direction.  Finally, we drove into the driveway, and before he could pull back out of the driveway like he was talking of doing, I climbed out -- of a moving car.  I guess they swept everything except drumline in State 4A, and in Bands of America, they got fourth over all -- American Fork was the only band from Utah to beat Westlake!!!!  They did awesome!!!  I'm so proud of them!!! And, so grateful for it all to be over!!!!  We went to Mapleton that night.

On the 4th, I took Shalyn in to see the doctor because of her sore bottom that wouldn't heal.  It's still not better. . . .  I got Jarom's prescription filled.  Cali got an e-mail forwarded to her by Mr. Mangleson finally about her wallet having been found a couple of weeks before on the bus that she rode on up to the Idaho competition.  So, on Tuesday, the 5th, I called on it, and after loading James (he was pretty sick -- coughing a croupy cough), Lena, Alyssa, and Shalyn into the car, we drove up to a warehouse behind the Gateway, and I picked it up.  After school, when it was time to pick Cali up, I asked her if she wanted to drive, so I had her drive to Mapleton to try to find the purse that Ruby had left there on Sunday.  We got the purse, and after Cali drove up the canyon there a bit, we returned home which finished off her driving hours.  It seemed I was in the car all day that Tuesday running errands.  I think I took James into the doctor's office either that day or on Wednesday.  It was election day, so I went to go vote.  I also went to the Library.  I found the fourth book of the "Shamer's Chronicles" and was quite ecstatic to find it there!  I helped a man figure out where he needed to go vote.  A couple of years ago, the city council voted through some high density homes that were set amongst some of the mansion styled homes in Saratoga Springs.  There was quite an uproar about it them, and it has caused a ground swelling action that landed several propositions on the ballot on Tuesday.  I'm guessing there was a higher outpouring of voters as a result!  Especially since many of the city council members were being voted on -- and a new mayor as well.  Mckenzie had activity days and Cali and Cecilia had YW's.  Jarom had YM's up at the Family History Library in Riverton starting at 5 p.m.  I had to help him get an LDS account over the phone since I was driving with Cali at the time.  After school on Wednesday, I went to pick Garrett and Cali up around 4 p.m., and, after dropping Garrett off, I took Cali down to get her license.  It didn't even take very long!  We walked in, filled out a form, then were processed without more than 5 minutes of wait time!!!!  Now to get her on the insurance!!!  Cali told me how at school, she'd been called down to be a part of the Hope Squad.  Evidently, they got the student body to nominate people to be on the Hope Squad.  Over a thousand people were nominated, but they only pulled in the top twenty people or so, and Cali was on that list!!!  The Hope Squad is designed for these nominated students to be trained to listen to those that are needing help to not commit suicide.  They figure people who are contemplating suicide will be more likely to talk to their peers rather than an adult counselor.  It sounds interesting!!  When I was growing up, I was involved in programs that pushed the agenda to say no to drugs.  It sounds like the Hope Squad is the new Say No to Drugs program for our day and time.  Ladd and I went to the temple that night.  I was grateful to go.  I ended up trying to fit my insert into my temple "shoe" for my walking around the temple.  It was interesting, to say the least.  And, it was fairly busy there at the temple -- enough that we had to line up in the hallway outside of the chapel.  On Thursday, Mckenzie had Tumbling.  I had a physical therapy session and saw Dr. Rogers as well at the end of it.  He told me once again that I could have him inject some medicine into my left foot while in surgery for my right foot.  When I got back, Ladd and I got ready to go to the HOA meeting over changing the CCR's.  It was an emotionally charged meeting, and was a bit uncomfortable at times for me since I avoid conflict whenever I can.  Evidently, all the CC&R's were changed except the RV's being able to be parked in driveways.  So, now, we'll have to figure out what that means for our fence-line.  They passed the right to be able to pull out the fence if the board voted to do so.  Which means, it's only a matter of time.  Lots of questions still. . . .
November 8th, I woke up bright and early.  I took Garrett and Cali to school, then came back and took Cecilia and Jarom to school.  As I was waiting to pull out of the middle school parking lot, I rear-ended the suburban in front of me.  Not what I needed right before my surgery!!!  I exchanged information with the lady driving, and hurried home with lots of things I needed to do.  I called Kelsy and told her to not worry about watching the kids that day -- that Ladd would handle it.  Then I noticed I'd missed a phone call from the hospital.  So, I called them and they asked if I could get there in a half an hour.  So, I had a quick shower, and Ladd came home to drive me to the hospital.  James and Ruby were both home from school because of being sick, so they babysat the kids during my surgery.  When we got there, they took me back, got a urine sample to make sure I wasn't pregnant, asked me lots of questions, put in my IV with one little poke, and then other people started filing in to ask me more questions.  When Dr. Rogers came in, he felt where my burr was on my big toe and found two there.  Then, after the surgery, he said he found even more there.  I was told I was rather lucid after my surgery when Dr. Rogers came to talk to us afterwards.  After getting up to go to the bathroom and eating some food, they let me go.  Ladd picked up two movies -- The Croods and Whitehouse Down.  He also picked up some Café Rio for Ladd and I and an extra meal to divide amongst the kids.  I was put to bed immediately to elevate my foot and ice it.  That night, we watched White House Down, ate pizza, and then Ladd went to the BYU basketball game with dad Olsen.  It was rather frustrating for me because no one wanted to do the helping of me or the helping of the kids.  Oh, and after we got home from the hospital, we got a text from the woman's husband saying her back was hurting her -- so Ladd had me make a claim on our insurance.  It sounds like we're in for a ride on this one.  While I was making my statement, all I could hear in my mind's eye was the nurse telling me after surgery to not make any legal and binding decisions for the next 24 hours!!!  I couldn't get to sleep until four in the morning because my medicine wasn't covering my pain very well.  So, I only got about three to four hours of sleep that night.  On Friday, I had a huge headache, but by Saturday that was gone to be replaced with my lower back killing me.  The medicine didn't touch either of those ailments for me.  On Saturday, Ladd did lots of shopping.  Lena had a birthday party to go to for Cameron Hicken.  Cali went with Ladd to help pick up the shirts for her Homecoming Dance.  Ladd went over to Lane's house and then Chad's house for the BYU football game and then to play a game -- and he took Mckenzie.  He set it up so Garrett, Cali, and Cecilia would each take an hour to help me.  The trouble with that was my pain levels weren't being managed by my pills and there was more time and stuff to do than just three hours worth.  I was pretty frustrated by the time he finally came home.  I had to call my doctor's office to get help with getting more pills, because at the rate I was going through them, I wouldn't last the weekend.  Luckily, it has settled down since then.  This morning I was in tears just trying to get a bath.  Our tub is set up so it's easy to prop a left foot up out of the water, but not the right foot.  And, the doctor had given me a cortezone shot in my left heel like he said he would, and I was amazed at how good it felt until I tried to have a bath.  My left foot had to be the good one without the support of the insert or my shoe, and it's hurting even now.  Jarom and James and Lena and Alyssa and Shalyn all stayed home from church.  I worked with James on his Faith in God and we got him almost done!!!  Jarom and James sure didn't get along and then we had numerous problems with Lena and Alyssa.  Lena put glue all over her sheets (maybe that was after church while Ladd was at choir).  Shalyn had a really messy diaper that had her bottom extremely sore.  So, she was crying quite a bit.  I just feel so helpless and clueless.  I have to try to talk people into helping me with the little children's problems, guessing all the while what really needs to be done with them, and then wondering why they are still not happy and trying to do that all over again.  Ladd seems to do really well when he is here -- he's just been gone a lot this weekend.  Ladd led the choir in "Jesus, Lover of my Soul" at Sacrament Meeting today.  I really wasn't thinking when I arranged to have us sing it this weekend!!!  Ladd said it sounded fine!  It seems like most of our children are sick and coughing up a storm every few seconds.  Dr. Rogers had his office call and arrange for me to come in sooner tomorrow.  So, it looks like Ladd will be taking me to the doctor's office tomorrow morning.  After calendar tonight, Cecilia came in to admit she'd missed a huge calendaring item.  Evidently, it's winter color guard tryouts this week -- all week long.  It will make it a long week for her.  I just want all of us to get better!!!  Mom Olsen and Kristen are coming to help tomorrow and Tuesday.  That will be a huge help!  Hopefully I can do this!

















No comments:

Post a Comment