Saturday, November 16, 2013

My Musings. . .

So, it's Saturday, November 16th, 2013.  It's been a week and one day since the operation on my right foot.  I'm sitting on the couch with both of my feet propped up.  I've taken two of my Loritab after working most of the day trying to catch up on the dishes, laundry, and clutter.  My feet still feel like ground hamburger.  I've re-organized all the socks, sorted papers, and (with Jarom and James' help) packed away most of the stuffed animals littering the two rooms that the five youngest girls inhabit.  This morning, Cali drove Cecilia and Jarom to the temple so they could do baptisms for the dead.  The temple was closed.  I guess they stopped off at Smiths to get a treat before coming home.  Ladd took Garrett and Ruby shopping with him this morning since we didn't have enough milk for all of the family to have breakfast.  It's fascinating for me to see what Ladd comes home with when he goes shopping.  But, it's fun to eat things we just don't get to try -- ever.  I'm avoiding the question as to how much it all cost!!  Last week, when I finally got enough courage up to ask him if he'd spent too much money, he said it depended on your perspective.  I suppose that's true.  Garrett and Cali spent a couple of hours puttering around getting ready for their big dates for the rest of the day.  Garrett and Cali are both at Sadies right now.  Cecilia is on the other computer watching the Harry Potter Musical (?! Is there such a thing?!).  Jarom just admitted to having math homework (it's 9:30 p.m., folks!) after playing the computer game Heroes Might and Magic IV most of the day.  James has no desire to go to bed downstairs without anyone else there, so he is reluctantly checking Shalyn's diaper.  Maybe he'll feed her a bottle next?  You'd think I was capitalizing on his fears. . . .  Ladd is sitting in front of the TV yelling at the BYU basketball team periodically.  He has his primary manual open on his lap.  I wonder just how effective his preparation for tomorrow's Primary lesson is while he's glued to the game? :) This is the second BYU game he's watched today.  He spent the "spare" time working on the 7th bedroom.  Today, he cut all the boards for the shelves in the closet.  James just announced to the room that Shalyn has glitter in her snot.  Not your everyday observation!  I thought Mckenzie, Ruby, Lena, and Alyssa were tucked into bed, but Alyssa ran up to me a few minutes ago and said she had gone wet in the toilet and washed her hands.  Then, she held her hands up for me to hand her gummy bears.  I checked, and she'd put potty training panties on herself.  Does this mean she's ready to truly be potty trained or did she just want a bedtime snack???  When Alyssa thought I wasn't paying attention, she smuggled the rest of her gummy bears into her room.  Alyssa had an extremely long nap today.  She's being extremely difficult to talk into going back to sleep for the night!  Shalyn has crawled away from James' ministrations, and is starting to pull herself up on the medical scooter my foot is propped up on.  I can't believe she's already starting to try that trick!  She's not even eight months yet!  She's my little explorer and vacuum.  She's constantly looking to figure out the world around her.  She likes to spit, blow, and hum all at the same time.  Earlier, she climbed all over Jarom while he was practicing with his drumsticks.  The other day, one of the kids came in holding Shalyn and announced that we all needed to look at Shalyn.  She was holding a toy dagger as if she'd practiced it for months.  Today, I decided her days in the walker were done.  I saw her trying to pick up a toy that had fallen off her tray.  She leaned far enough out that her feet were almost free to topple out after her head!!

This week has flown by quickly, but each day, I feel like I'm just waiting around for my feet to get better.  Ladd took me to the doctor Monday morning while Mom Olsen and Kristen watched Lena, Alyssa, and Shalyn and did my dishes and laundry for me.  The doctor summarized what he had found in the operating room.  He said that he had done the normal operation on my heel, but had also found some grisly-type material that had grown over the nerve which he took care of for me.  Then, when he went to do the burrs on my big toe joint, he found not one, not two, but "many" others.  He said he improved my flexibility to move my toe 30%.  And, he said that he's found ingrown toenails to bleed more than other issues with the foot as mine has done.  I've found my ability to walk on this foot to be a week ahead of the other foot.  However, both of my feet hurt quite a bit.  And, there's soooo much work to be done around the house.  I feel like it's always dirty despite all the help I've had this week!.  Mom Olsen and Kristen came again on Tuesday.  Mom Olsen took laundry home both days to iron for me.  It's nice to have some of Ladd's shirts ironed!!!  And, the Sunday shirts are all ironed as well.  On Wednesday, Lena and Alyssa went to Debra Goodey's house.  She even fed them before she brought them back.  I managed to do some basic cleaning while they were gone and Shalyn was sleeping.  And, I was able to listen to my scriptures the whole time and actually hear what they said!  That night, we had lasagna-type noodles brought in by Brook Foess and Lori Brainard.  It was all very yummy!  On Thursday, Lena and Alyssa went to stay at Emily Jones' house until around two!  I sat around most of that time and read a book that was due at the library that day.  Friday, Lena and Alyssa went with Heather Wilson.  They sure loved being able to get out of the house each of those days and have fun adventures at those houses!  I was able to actually have a bath while they were gone.  Simple pleasures!  That night, Deanna Weierholt and Lesa Thompson brought dinner in for us.  It was yummy, too.  It seems like most of the family have been battling coughs and snuffles all week.  Ladd's been sick.  Not fun!  Cecilia tried out for winter colorguard all week long, and she made it onto the premier team!!!  Congratulations, Cecilia!!!  She's so graceful while she's twirling her flags around.  She makes it look soooo easy!  Garrett went to the Draper temple with some of his drumline friends to do baptisms for the dead.  He had a campout that he missed as a result.  Ladd and I even tried to take him to their camp, but we couldn't find it.  After we dropped Garrett back off at home, we headed to pick up a prescription for me, and that seemed to be the extent of our date.  We did go into our room when we got home, and read the first chapter into one of my current favorite books, "Expecting Joy."  It seems to capture many of the feelings I have towards motherhood right now.  I went to bed early last night.  My back was hurting so much in the morning, and I was still so very tired when I got up.  Tomorrow, I'm supposed to be singing "Be Still my Soul" with other women in the ward.  Hope I'm up to it!!!

This week has been interesting since I can't drive.  Thankfully, with a little creativity, we've muddled through.  Cali has come home every day this week to grab the van, and go back so she and Garrett can get a ride back after working with teachers on their grades.  And, Cali's been so willing to run all the errands I've needed her to run.

Our anniversary this year was our 18th.  Even though it wasn't an even number, it still seemed to be a bigger deal to me for some reason.  When we did sealings the week before, I couldn't help feel so grateful for Ladd.  He blesses my life in so many ways, and turns a blind eye to all my failings.  He is usually so tactful, although yesterday, he said I ate the most. . . bread.  He swears he meant to say I ate the most bread, but it sure sounded like he meant I ate the most -- out of everyone.  I had given him a watch for our anniversary, and he hasn't been able to find it lately.  This morning, he put his work pants on and found his watch in the pocket.  Then, later, he asked me what I had given him the watch for.  I reminded him it was our anniversary.   I guess it wasn't as memorable for him?  ;)  Just kidding!  I'm grateful Ladd is in my life!!!  And, I'm grateful I have ten beautiful children to learn from and enjoy!  What an adventure I'm able to have because of these wonderful people in my life!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment