My children "say the darndest things" -- isn't that how it goes? James just said at the breakfast table, "I love using my tongue as a straw." I didn't even know you could do something like that!
Last night, during scripture study, Cecilia suddenly blurted out, "Mom, where does the doorbell come from? I mean, the sound." I must say I was tongue-tied for just a bit. What a strange question! Certainly not what I was expecting. Cali took up the quest, "Oh. I've never thought about that. Where does the sound come out?" Cecilia: "Yeah. Are there like special speakers?" Meanwhile, all my children (that seemed interested) were searching the walls high and low looking for hidden speakers). I laughed and said that I thought it was wired and if they wanted to know more, we could call their dad and ask him. Someone then said, "Yeah. Ask dad 'cause he's a guy. He knows things like that." Garrett piped up, "I'm a guy and I don't know that." Another voice, "Yeah, but you're not dad." Jarom this time: "Yeah, and dad went to college for like four years so he knows all this stuff." This time I interjected between chuckles, "More importantly, he worked in construction and thus, know things like this." By this time, someone had produced my phone and I dialed, asking Ladd if he had a few moments. Then I asked him, "The kids want to know where the doorbell sound come from." Ladd's typical response, "Through the doorbell." That's when I handed the phone over to Cecilia. I'm positive Ladd repeated his response for Cecilia then said something like this, "Yeah, but dad. If the doorbell didn't work, we couldn't hear the person on the other side of the door yelling 'ding dong!'" A few more "a huh's" and she handed the phone back to me. By the time I got off the phone a minute later, most of the kids were huddled in the hallway, gesturing wildly and discussing passionately and searching the walls for what lay hidden there. I had to convince the kids that now was not the time to ring the doorbell since three of the littlest children were currently sleeping on the couch or floor. (Just now, after I read this to James, he ran outside, closed the front door, and yelled, "Ding Dong" through the door by way of experiment.) Do I just have strange kids? I must say, this is typical of our conversations at our house.
Never a dull moment :)
ReplyDelete