Sunday, December 2, 2012

Part of living. . . .

I had an epiphany awhile ago.  I realized that making my children and my husband smile or laugh makes me happy.  Maybe that's a twisted way to live, but I derive happiness from it.  As a result, I love seeing the hilarious and ironic twists in what we say or do.  I've tried my best to remember and record these moments.  For what it's worth, here's some we've had lately:

We were anticipating getting ready for Mapleton, and we decided that since Jarom and Cecilia were downstairs, that we'd need to let them know so they could get ready.  Alyssa went to the top of the stairs, and in her two year old little voice, she yelled down the stairs, "Jarom, CC needs you!"

I was in my room talking to Ladd for a few moments after he woke up one day.  Mckenzie seemed desperate to see Ladd -- to show him something or talk to him.  She knocked on the door and we told her to wait a couple of minutes.  After a few minutes, she came back and knocked again.  This time she said through the door, "Mom!  Stop your chitty chatty!  Dad, come out here!!!"  It took Ladd and I a couple of minutes to reply because we were too busy laughing.

We were having a family council so Jarom could pass something off for one of his merit badges.  We asked the children when they could date and James said, "We can date when we're 16 and kiss when I'm 29." 

I took Cecilia to get her blood drawn and afterwards she said, "Now I have a hole in my arm!"  And later, she added, "I can't exercise 'cause my blood is all gone!"

I was talking to Mckenzie and she made a funny face and a funny noise in the process of it all.  Then she said in amazement, "I sneezed out my nose!"

Garrett asked Alyssa what sound a pig makes.  Alyssa said, "Noink!  Noink!"

Alyssa, when she doesn't like something, says, "I not hate that!"

Lena will tell me she's babysitting -- I think whenever she thinks we might not be aware of it.

Ladd and I went to a celebratory dinner for his work.  One of the workers at the hotel where it was being held stopped Ladd and asked what his steel gray suit was made up of.  He seemed to think it was made of shark skin and said it was cool.  We went away chuckling and a bit baffled.  I didn't know people would even think of making a church suit out of a shark!

Lately, when I ask Alyssa something, she'll shrug her shoulders -- even when she knows the answer!

I told Lena I had on a T-shirt and she said, "Where's the "t"?!"

Now, for some frustrating things that make us shake our heads or laugh later!

Lena and Alyssa got into our fiber supplements, and ate half of a bottle.  It baffled me why they suddenly had massive diarhrea problems that cleared up mysteriously the next day!  The bottle was a new bottle which meant they had to go through a child-proof lid, then through the toughly sealed foil before they could make it to the gummies!

Ruby tried a new trick.  She ran into her room, slammed the door and locked it. (Not the new part.)  Then, she opened the window, threw off the screen, and climbed out the window and snuck off to her friends' house to play.  GRRRRR!!!

I had to call poison control for Ruby the other day.  I got a call saying Ruby was feeling nauseous.  I must admit, I don't trust too many things Ruby does or says now a days.  She lies to me on a daily basis.  And, she told me the other day, "I'm a really good actress."  So, I got to the school and while we were walking out, I asked Ruby why she was feeling sick.  My answer came after lots of questions and trying to put together a consecutive story.  Here's what happened:  She got hit in the head/eye with a jumprope, so she went to the nurse's office.  The office staff gave her an ice pack with a ziplock baggie over it.  She was thirsty, so she took the ziplock baggie off, bit a hole in the ice pack, and took two gulps of the "slimy" stuff.  That's when she got nauseous!  After confirming her basic story with the office staff (they didn't know she'd drunk it), I took her home and called poison control.  We found out it wasn't poisonous, just not meant to be ingested (I think I could've guessed that!).  So we gave her some water and let her wait it out!  You'd have thought Ruby would've asked for a drink of water or helped herself to the little cups next to the sink in the nurse's office!!!!  I guess with Ruby, you just don't know what she'll choose!!

Yesterday, at the BYU Christmas Party, Jarom picked up a bowling ball, and when he went to use it, he found a $1 bill in one of the holes with a sticky note stuck to it saying, "Have a spare!"  Later, Mckenzie ran up to me and said Ruby had found two dollars stuck in a hole of a ball.  I found that a bit too much of a coincidence, so I ran to where she was standing.  They didn't look like one dollar bills to me, so once I'd confiscated them, I found they were really two twenty dollar bills.  I deduced that she'd pulled them out of my purse.  I was right.  The contents of my purse were scattered all over.  What rankles, besides Ruby stealing from me and then lying about it, was that the money she took out of my purse was something I'd actually earned for myself playing for a violin recital -- not "just" some money that Ladd had earned to support our family.

Also, yesterday, at the BYU Christmas Party, while we were bowling, Ruby switched her shoes out by the games and left her shoes there un-be-knownst to me.  When I went to help her find her shoes, they were gone.  The people at the desk hadn't had any turned in, either.  Wow.  Her school shoes, though "done" months ago, are now gone. 

I've recently bought both Mckenzie and Ruby some "high-heeled" Sunday shoes.  Mckenzie and Ruby keep trying to sneak them to school via their backpacks or trying to make it out of the house without me seeing them.  I can't fault them for loving "fashion" as Mckenzie calls it.  I might have to confiscate them after church, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment