After all the work I went thru on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday to clean my house, I found my strength waning at the end of Wednesday. Somehow, sometime during the day, I'd managed to pull something in my shoulder, neck, and collar bone area on my right side. It's taken the rest of the week of minimum work and careful sleeping positions* to ease the pain in that area. Maybe I'll be ready for tomorrow and this next week? I'm hoping.
I suppose this stumbling block was timed perfectly. What better time to slack off than when the kids are off from school and I'm trying to play with my children. I suggest on Wednesday night that we go play at a park. Mckenzie's response is: "Zions! Zions Park! Let's go to Zions Park!" I explain that while I'd love to go to Zions, the 10 hour round trip would be a bit too much travel for what I have in mind. Thursday dawns cloudy and cold. It's raining. I guess I forgot to check the weather before I suggested a park. It's Saturday before we actually take the kids to two different parks. And, the sun came out briefly for both excursions. Ruby was fixated with having a picnic at the park. After contemplating the effort and extra time it would take to get a picnic ready, I ask if taking a box of store bought cookies to the park and eating them there would constitute having a picnic at the park. Ruby confirmed that it would meet her picnic regulations, so, that's what we did.
Thursday, we went in for Ruby and Alyssa's eye checks. Neither of them needed glasses. Ruby pouted about that the rest of the day. She was soooo disappointed! I guess she really wanted glasses. Now we just need to find out why Ruby keeps having headaches and Alyssa keeps saying her eye hurts and grabbing her head next to her eye.
Friday was fascinating. Several of the kids ignored my plea to get their homework done on Thursday, and were thus heavily involved in homework projects. Others simply worked all day Thursday and all day Friday on homework. Ladd and I received the word from Tunex that our car hasn't responded all that well to the part they replaced in our gears (after putting in a new motor and a new clutch). They were now figuring it was our transmission that was the problem. Really?! Could this month get any more expensive! With that news hanging over us, Ladd and I took the opportunity to steal away to the temple for a couple of hours. After I got back, I did some dishes and worked hard at getting some pizza made for dinner. Garrett had been working on getting himself ready for his first campout as a priest. They were to meet at the park at 7:30 p.m. It seemed a bit late, but it was actually 7:45 p.m. before his leader showed up. I say goodbye and head home. A few moments later, I see their car go cruising by. I shrug in non-understanding, and greet the rest of my roll dough I have waiting for me. I finish making garlic parmesean breadsticks, and sit down to read a book for a few moments. Garrett quietly walks in the door with a big smile on his face. Evidently, they'd cruised around the neighborhood trying to find another leader to go with them. Not being able to find a second leader, they'd gone to Betos and then to Smiths before dropping the three boys who had shown up off at their own houses. Hopefully they'll have two leaders next week!
Thursday was filled with lots of TV. Friday was filled with lots of TV. Saturday was filled with lots of TV -- most of it BYU football. Jarom finally got more homework done in the afternoon. In the evening, Ladd and I were able to go to an Elder's Quorum party filled with a chili cook off and listening to Brad Wilcox on humor helping us overcome roadblocks in our lives. When we got home from that, we went to Walmart to do some shopping, then put on Eclipse when we got home. Garrett and Cali got home from their stake dance during the movie and Mckenzie woke up twice to say she'd had a nightmare.
Today, we wrote Mckenzie's talk about the Priesthood at church and Garrett was sustained to be ordained to the office of a priest. His testimony was great. I substituted in Ruby's class, and afterwards, I was determined to round everyone up quickly so we could have Garrett be ordained just as quickly. Lena broke away from me and headed outside, so I left Alyssa behind in the foyer and charged after her with Ladd's voice floating after me, "Why can't she go that way?" I caught Lena and reminded him that Garrett needed to have his ordination done right now and we all needed to go to the Bishop's office, not the car. Ladd weakly whispered rehtorically, "Why can't she wait in the car?" He admitted that James had left already to walk home. We rounded up everyone else, and Garrett explained what a priest's duties were and bore his testimony. Then, Ladd ordained him. We headed home. Mckenzie and Lena ran home with Mckenzie holding Lena's shoes most of the way. They crossed a muddy field and I still haven't found Lena's muddy socks. Ruby saw her friend on the way home, and so we let her out of the car as well. We found James starting to walk back to the church. I explained why we'd been so long and asked him why he hadn't gone inside. He thought the house was locked and hadn't even tried our door that was open. We rushed through some changing of clothes and eating of lunch before Ladd, Cali, and I hurried to choir.
*Trying to be careful with how I sleep has been a bit complicated. I can only sleep without pain on my left side. Even then, I have to position my right arm in just the right place. If I put it in the wrong place, it either creates pain or numbness in various parts of my arm. So, I try to keep my arm in the right place and stay on my left side. When my left ear feels reduced to basic hamberger and my left side is screaming in complaint, I roll carefully to my back for just a few moments of relief. Then, when I can no longer breathe due to pregnancy, I sigh and roll back onto my left side. When my bladder fills up several times during the night, I roll out of bed and when I come back, I have to reposition myself all over again. I didn't know sleeping could be so complicated.
No comments:
Post a Comment