Sunday, March 31, 2013

A family letter for March 2013


March 31, 2013


Dear Family and friends, (Ladd and Sharla)

                This Easter has been renewing in nature.  I was taking a walk with Ruby and Alyssa (my 6 and 2 year old) yesterday.  I asked them what Easter was all about.  Ruby said it was about getting candy.  Alyssa mentioned the Easter bunny.  I explained to them it was about the suffering, death, and resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  I testified to them that despite Jesus dying, he lives today.  Ruby said, “Yes, as a spirit.”  I squeezed her hand and told her that he has a body of flesh and bone and would be able to feel her squeeze his hand.  The wonder on her face was priceless.

Being able to see the flowers peek through the newly exposed dirt in our front yard reminds me of the renewal of life; the promise of re-birth and the chance to start anew despite our choices in the past.  Perhaps, the biggest visual of this reminder has been in our new baby girl, Shalyn Susanna.  She was born a week and a half ago and is brand new from Heavenly Father.   The reverence our other nine children give her and the awe in their eyes as they hold her and marvel at how tiny she is constantly reminds me of the miracle of birth and Heavenly Father’s plan for each of us that brings us such happiness as we live it day by day.  And to think, the Savior made all of this possible.  We’ve all been infinitely blessed!

March has been crazy busy.  Many people asked me when we were going to have this baby and I simply had no answer for them.  Finally, the doctor actually said I could be induced a week early, and I jumped at the chance with my eyes closed and faith wide open.  My mom rearranged her schedule and came to stay with us for just over a week.  She told me a couple of children ago that she could no longer aid my education since she’d never had this many children (she had six).  Unfortunately, I believed her.  Ladd and I have watched as she has kept my sink clean and my table clear for a whole week!  She spent time researching dinner recipes and would start dinner in the late morning if necessary.  When she wasn’t putting laundry in the washer or running children around to their activities, she was sitting playing with one of my children or connecting with her own family.  She has her priorities in the right place and isn’t afraid to work hard to accomplish her goals.  She is a tremendous example to me!

Ladd has been excelling as the manager of the night shift for Fidelity and teaching skiing part time up at Deer Valley.  He’s been trying to interview for manager positions that would place him during the week day and provide better support for me and the children.  He’s been passed over a number of times.  This week, he was handed a new team to manage without needing to interview.  After his two weeks of paternity leave that starts tomorrow, he will be working in American Fork (instead of the Gateway) Monday thru Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.  We feel very blessed!  Ladd is the Primary teacher for the nine year olds in our ward.  He’s a great example of how to magnify every calling no matter what it is we are asked to do.

Garrett is 16 years old now.   He has his permit and has everything done except for 22 hours driving with Ladd or me.  Garrett just finished playing in the pit for his high school’s production of “Once Upon a Mattress.”  He’s also been doing track for the first time ever.  He’s doing both the long distance and the sprinting events.  He participated in a group ensemble with his drumline for region solo and ensemble called “Aboriginal Dreams.”  He has nine different instruments he has to play during the song.  It got a Superior and will be competing at State.

Cali made drum major for next year for marching band as well as dance team.  However, their schedules conflict during the summer and it is looking like she won’t be allowed to do the dance team as a result.  Cali has been doing sprints at track.  One of her coaches asked her if she was Cali Olsen.  When she said she was, he said, “You can run!”  Cali’s clarinet solo also made state.  Cali’s Alliance dance company concert was amazing.  Cali also has her driver’s permit.

Cecilia is enjoying being on her middle school’s dance company.  She’s getting 100% on her math tests.  She is progressing really well on the piano.  And, she’s a great help for me!!

Jarom is at a Star rank in Boy Scouts.  He is working really hard at staying up to date on his grades and homework.  And, he’s in percussion and choir at school.  He’s going to be starting drumline at the middle school.

James is almost done with the requirements for his Arrow of Light.  He is doing ballroom at the Elementary school.  He loves drawing pandas and playing with his friends.

Mckenzie loves climbing and is waiting for her mother to sign her up for gymnastics.  She loves Activity Days.  During the last couple of days, she’s taken to dribbling a basketball.  We’ll see how long that lasts. . . .

Ruby is in her Elementary’s play.  There are over 100 children in it.  It’s a rendition of various songs over the past decades.  She loves being in it!

Lena is constantly busy.  When she has some down time, she runs in a circle in our living room while she talks to me.  She loves playing with friends in the neighborhood.  She also loves being in real Primary this year. 

Alyssa loves her nursery class.  She loves being a big sister.  And, she’s been slowly potty training herself over the last week and a half!  She and Lena are great friends (when they get along!) and are marvelous partners in crime.  I’ve listed out all the adventures they’ve had in the past three months alone on our blog:  ourolsenolympians.blogspot.com

Shalyn Susanna has lots of dark brown hair.  She was 8 lbs. 6 oz. and was 19 ½ inches long at birth.  She’s had jaundice and has been under lights over the last week.  Hopefully we’re past that now. . . .  She has a sweet disposition and a high squeal when she’s unhappy.  She seems ever so patient for the most part.  She is very loved!!!

For those of you who are not aware, I am one of 60 authors in a book called:  “Deliberate Motherhood:  12 powers of peace, joy, love, and order” (At least I think that’s the title – I’ve loaned out all my copies so I can’t verify!).  It’s a great compilation of advice for mothers of all situations and backgrounds.  I loved reading it.  It’s worth finding and reading it in your spare time J. (Because we all have spare time, right?!)    I’m feeling great and hoping I’ll be able to figure out ten children quickly!  That process should be extremely interesting if not entertaining – 5 years down the road. J  I’m the choir director and have managed to lead us in two Easter songs today as well as one song for ward conference last week.  I’ve enjoyed having the testimony of our Savior’s resurrection running through my mind in the form of these songs over the last couple of weeks.  Most enriching.

We’re healthy and happy (generally!).  We’re hoping all is well with you and yours!

 

Love,

 

Ladd and Sharla and Garrett, Cali, Cecilia, Jarom, James, Mckenzie, Ruby, Lena, Alyssa, and Shalyn

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your life! Isn't Mom H. amazing?! :)

    ReplyDelete