Sunday, November 4, 2012

"Shun the Fight"

My favorite hymn remains to this day, "Come, Come Ye Saints."  I sing it often and bask in the messages it leaves on my heart.  I have noticed a phrase it has in one of its verses:  "Why should we think to earn a great reward if we now shun the fight?"  I've been pondering what that question means to me.

In the Book of Mormon, during one of the battles that the 2000 Stripling Warriors fought in, the army of the Nephites found themselves taking a great beating.  The leaders commanded the army to stand their ground and fight.  Many of those in the Nephite army gave way and started fleeing while the 2000 Stripling warriors obeyed the command of their leaders and were firm and undaunted, fighting until they won the battle.  They gave courage to those that had started to flee and they didn't shun the fight.  I don't know the reason some of the army started fleeing, but I have an idea that it had to do with fear and the products of fear.  They lacked faith in some way or form.

Facebook seems to be a means for becoming re-aquainted with those we once knew.  I've been fascinated with the posts of some of my cousins I really haven't rubbed shoulders with for awhile.  I come from a heritage on both my mother and my father's side that resulted in many, many relatives.  My cousins are a small part of that, but both sides number over the 60's count.  I've stayed in touch with my dad's side much more than my mother's side.  On my mother's side, I will hear updates and brief sketches on what various cousins are up to due to my mother's dealings with their parents.  I've been amazed that some of my cousins could vary so far from the teachings they grew up with and embraced as a child.  My grandparents on both sides loved the gospel and so did their children for the most part.  I've wondered at what point my cousins strayed and for what reason.  What led them to leave what was most dear to their grandparents and uncles and aunts and parents?  Some of my cousin's choices seem so radical to me.  Why did they shun the fight for exhaltation?

A couple of years ago, before we moved here, our Stake President said we are all everyday one step away from the wrong path.  It only takes one poorly made choice.  Couple that with other poorly made choices and the deviation is made.

So, in my life, a decision to stop reading my scriptures or not caring when my children choose the wrong choice might very well be the difference between being firm and undaunted versus shunning the fight.

Being pregnant has its own set backs.  I find myself wanting to choose the easy path.  Sitting around instead of accomplishing my goals and to-do lists.  Doing what I would instead of what I should.  These last couple of days, I've buckled down and worked steadily.  The mornings, when I should find myself rested, I discover pain and discomforts abound in my body.  So, do I give in to fear, or do I keep it up and work despite the pain I know it will bring?  Where's my faith?  It will be worth it.  Whatever sacrifice I'm willing to make while working in the Lord's kingdom, no matter how small, will be worth it.  That is my faith.  I must not shun the fight.  And, if I get off the beaten path, I must do what ever it takes to make it back; to correct my course.  That is what brings peace and happiness in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment