Sunday, September 9, 2012

Our Olsen talk line-up

Within the last eight days, seven of us eleven have given talks.  When I told Dad Hinton this news, he said it had to be a record.  It makes you wonder. . . .   The first two were Garrett and Cali when they spoke at Mckenzie's baptism last Saturday.  Garrett spoke on baptism and Cali spoke on the Holy Ghost.  Mom Olsen mentioned that their talks brought in a special spirit to the baptism.  Then, James spoke in Primary last Sunday.  His talk was on the blessings we receive when we obey the commandments.  At choir today, I learned that at the end of his talk he said, "I'm DONE!"  and sat down.  At least he gave his talk!  Today, Cecilia and Jarom spoke in Sacrament Meeting on faith, and Ladd and I spoke on enduring to the end well. 

Today I woke up with a stiff neck that starts high up on my neck and follows all the way down into the middle of my back.  I've only had that happen one other time.  Then, Alyssa didn't seem to be feeling well.  She was extra quiet and wouldn't eat much, preferring to be clingy instead.  Ladd and I considered leaving Garrett here during Sacrament Meeting to watch Alyssa, but he said he wanted to come and listen if possible.  So, we dragged Alyssa to church.  She slept in my arms until I had to go up on the stand, and she finally went to Ladd under protestation.  Jarom spoke first and then Cecilia.  I love giving talks, but it's been so long since we were asked to give a talk, I worried that I wouldn't remember how.  I hope it was like remembering to ride a bike because I enjoyed it immensely.  I skipped half of my talk and sped up at the end trying to squeeze the last couple of bits.  I didn't leave Ladd much time.  He skipped most of his talk, but what he said was wonderful.  Then, it was time for the choir to sing the closing song (It was supposed to be in the middle of the meeting, but my talk messed up that plan!), so I led the choir in a rendition of #293 Each Life that Touches Ours for Good.  With our children listening on the bench acting up and walking in and out of the chapel, I felt like Sacrament Meeting was the Olsen parade -- with each of us taking turns leading out.  After the prayer, Ladd and Garrett took out the choir folders, and I took Alyssa.  Ladd drove Alyssa and I home and we crashed once we got home.  Next thing I know, the children are busy banging around in the kitchen for our Sunday lunch escapade.  Then, the mad dash for Garrett's yearly interview with the Bishop and our hurried exit for choir.  I managed to forget all the new copies I needed to hand out to everyone, so, after I rushed back to get them, I found myself chanting in my head, "Please let there be lots of people today, Please let there be lots of people today, Please let there be lots of people today!"  I was granted my wish as there were a fairly good showing.  Thankfully!  Now, it's time for us to crash!

No comments:

Post a Comment