Sunday, September 23, 2012

Time's a turning

I was trying to get Lena to do something the other day, so I started counting.  She said in a very loud voice, "Stop counting!  I hate counting!  Stop annoying me, mom."

Today is the Brigham City temple dedication.  I went early and the rest of those that could go went later.  I decided to have a small Primary lesson on temples for Ruby, Lena, and Alyssa when the others left.  I gathered them around me and pointed to a picture of the Salt Lake Temple.  I asked them what it was.  Alyssa said, "A castle!"

Yesterday, Alyssa skinned her knee.  Once she discovered the blood on her knee, she became extra concerned and kept crying and pointing at it.  So, I cleaned it with a spray, then put a bandaid on it with antibiotic ointment as well.  She really didn't want me to come close to her at all with the bandaid.  I suppose the spray was enough for her.  Once I put the bandaid, she kept crying and referring to the bandaid.  I carried her to the couch.  She sat, holding her blanket, and alternating between sucking her fingers, and crying and pointing at her bandaid.  Finally, she decided to get up and do something.  I watched as she got off the couch, then limped over to her destination.  I get the feeling she doesn't handle pain well.  And, it seemed like a whole new experience for her -- almost a revelation of what was possible to experience in her life.  I got the feeling that she wasn't liking it!  We're in a wild ride with her!  A mini Sharla for sure.

Cecilia has made most of all the meals we've had this week.  First, she made a taco mixture.  She added soy sauce to it.  I didn't get to figure out what difference that made because I didn't have time to eat very much of it.  The next day, I told her to add the leftover taco mixture to some noodles, cheese, and sour cream.  I was eating my portion while taking Garrett and Cali to a party, and to me, it tasted different.  It almost had an indian or chinese flavor to its Mexican-ness.  In between bites, Garrett said, "Mom.  You have to make this more often.  It's my favorite!!!"  I asked Cali what Cecilia had put in it.  "She put in it just what you said to put in it -- I think."  When I told Cecilia what Cali had said, she laughed.  I asked her what else she put in it and she said ketchup -- and soy sauce the day before.  It was most curious for sure!  Yesterday, she made spaghetti.  She said she put everything in it that I put in it, but it tasted different.  She said it was my pregnancy getting in the way of tasting it properly.  I still thought it was delicious, though.  I'm so grateful I can ask Cecilia and Cali to make dinner, and they do it without my help.  What a blessing!!!!

Well, Friday night I spent three and a half hours at the laundromat catching our laundry up.  Then, yesterday afternoon, we had the repairman come and fix our washer.  I learned a few things from the whole experience about how my washer works.  We're a bit poorer, but my washer works!  Yeah!

Garrett and Cali had another marching band competition yesterday afternoon and evening.  The younger kids are picking up on the fact that they are at marching band a lot!  Lena keeps asking me during the day, "Where is everyone?"  I tell her they are at school or work.  She said yesterday morning, "Where's Garrett and Cali?  Are they at marching band?"  I had to tell her they were sleeping.

Well, yesterday we turned in our car rental.  We are currently a one car family.  It's surely strange to take turns with our errands and the places we need to go.  It adds a whole new light to sharing and taking turns -- simple concepts that stay true to the end of our life.

Well, Jarom worked really hard Friday and Saturday, and he is, for the most part, caught up in his homework.  It meant that we missed our ward activity, but he got it done.  Hurray!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment